Do you have boxes of photos all over your house? Are they stuffed in drawers and tucked away in the attic or even worse, the basement? If you do, these are some of the worst places to store your photos and they should be moved to a safer spot immediately after reading this post.
Your photos tell the story of your life and are a direct link to your past. Unfortunately, most of us haven’t taken the time to store them properly so they will be here for future generations. You may think your photos are safe because they’re in albums but that’s not the case, especially if the album has those thick plastic pages, is older than 15-20 years old or if it’s one of those horrifying magnetic albums.
Tips for Better Photo Preservation
- Temperature, light, and humidity are damaging to your photos. Store your photos and albums in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight.
- Hang framed photos on a wall that does not get direct sunlight. This will fade your photos quickly.
- Avoid storing photos in the basement or attic. The temperature swings in the attic are harmful and the dampness in the basement encourages mold growth.
Download the cheat sheet for the other 2 tips
It took me years to convince my mother that we needed to move all her photos into newer, safer albums but by then, it was too late. Most of them had become very dark and turned a yellowish-orange. Hopefully, we moved them in time and they will be safe from now on!
Now it’s your turn, go get those boxes of photos out of the basement and move them to a safer place! Be sure to download your free cheat sheet below!
Are your photos safe?
Leave your reply in the comments below.
Have a question or request? Send me an email, I will personally read and reply to each message.
Click Here to see the great parties I will be linking up to.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow the Krafty Owl with the link in the sidebar so you don’t miss a thing! Follow on: Facebook / RSS feed / Twitter or Pinterest. Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of the Krafty Owl is very much appreciated!
You may also be interested in:
- Corn Bake Casserole
- DIY Calendar Magnets & A Free Printable
- Quick & Simple Shamrock Wreath
- 3 Secrets of a Professional Organizer
- I Love You Blocks Valentine’s Day Craft
- 5 Tips for a More Organized Workspace
- Send Some Happy Mail This Year
Latest posts by Maria (see all)
- 5 Reasons People Struggle with Bullet Journaling - February 19, 2018
- Why I Use the ARC Binding System – The Pros and Cons - February 12, 2018
- My Favorite Bullet Journal and Planning Resources - February 5, 2018